Powell Wellness Center (PWC) has been honored as Certified Medical Fitness Facility of the Year by the Medical Fitness Association (MFA). This award is presented to a medical fitness center with standards of excellence that set a benchmark for the medical fitness industry, which has more than 40 medical fitness facilities nationally.
PWC, which celebrated its 11th anniversary in September 2018, is one of only three MFA-certified medical fitness facilities in Virginia. Certification recognizes that PWC offers the expertise and programming necessary to safely and effectively assist people, regardless of their current health status, to develop, initiate, and maintain an active lifestyle that minimizes risk of illness and disease and promotes health and wellness. PWC’s medical fitness programs are overseen by a medical director and advisory board.
In addition to supporting its members, PWC uniquely serves the local community’s health and wellness interests in several ways:
- Hosting FitScripts, a physician referral program serving individuals with a medical condition that can benefit from exercise. Through a number of specially designed “tracks,” FitScripts has served nearly 1400 community members since its launch in 2013. New tracks added in 2018 serve individuals with Parkinsons disease and pre and post natal wellness needs.
- Hosting Health Matters, a free monthly program open to the public that offers insights from Culpeper Medical Center and PWC professionals on health topics of wide interest, typically attracting 30-50 attendees.
- Offering nutrition services from a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist with an integrative approach focused on holistic wellness, with consultations available to the community.
- Extending fitness scholarships based on income and membership enrollment discounts to teachers, first responders, and town and county employees.
- Offering swim lessons open to the public that are held year-round in PWC’s aquatic complex with warm water pool, therapy pockets, two lane walking oval and lap lanes.
PWC director Eric Good will accept the award at the MFA annual conference in early November.